Described by Mingus himself as “ethnic folk-dance music,” The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady is a single song cycle rather than a traditional jazz album of separate tracks. The intricate arrangements and raw emotional swings of the piece make it a highlight of Mingus’ career, and one of the most compelling listens in jazz.
- Solo Dancer (Stop! Look! And Listen, Sinner Jim Whitney!) 6:20
- Duet Solo Dancers (Hearts' Beat And Shades In Physical Embraces) 6:25
- Group Dancers ((Soul Fusion) Freewoman And Oh, This Freedom's Slave Cries) 7:00
- Trio And Group Dancers (Stop! Look! And Sing Songs Of Revolutions!)
- Single Solos And Group Dance (Saint And Sinner Join In Merriment On Battle Front)
- Group And Solo Dance (Of Love, Pain, And Passioned Revolt, Then Farewell, My Beloved, Til It's Freedom Day)